Explicit phonemic awareness and phonics instruction come together in our new K-2 foundational skills curriculum!
Designed to supplement your existing literacy curriculum, the Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Primary lessons easily integrate into 1st and 2nd-grade classrooms. When lessons are taught consistently each day teachers see improvement in students’ reading, spelling, and writing, as the students learn to hear the sounds in words.
Bringing explicit phonemic awareness instruction to your classroom is easier than ever.
- QR codes directly link the weekly lesson page to videos and other supportive resources, enabling easy access to professional development and helping teachers to implement the curriculum with fidelity.
- Explicit teacher language better enables teachers to support all students' development.
- The new Skill Focus can be shared as an explanation for each skill or task when teaching the lessons.
- Overview pages support teachers with changes and shifts that take place throughout the weekly lessons.
- New opportunities for Phoneme/Grapheme connections.
- A revised scope and sequence gets students working at the phoneme level sooner.
- Optional weeks for review or intervention have been included for some skills after 24-weeks of Tier 1 instruction is provided.
Since doing Heggerty with my second graders, they’ve scored higher on all of their tests because they’re understanding the foundation of reading and words! It’s so much fun and doesn’t take long, it’s my most favorite part of my day at school. I swear by it through and through and I’ll use it until I retire!
I LOVE this resource and am encouraging my administrator to purchase copies for our whole first-grade team!
"The Yellow Book," as it's often called, provides 24-weeks of daily systematic phonological and phonemic awareness lessons for use in 1st and 2nd-grade classrooms. These lessons are short and engaging, designed to be the perfect supplement to an existing literacy curriculum.
The lessons in the revised 2022 edition of the English Primary Curriculum are quick and fast-paced, using a reduced number of words for each skill, in order to provide students with opportunities to build awareness and proficiency. The revised curriculum has 24-weeks of Tier 1 instruction, and 6 additional weeks of lessons for intervention instruction that can take place in whole group or small group settings. The lessons now include opportunities to make phoneme-grapheme connections, matching the sounds we hear to letters in print. QR codes provide easy access to hand motion videos and a weekly lesson demonstration video.
Intended audience: 1st and 2nd-grade classrooms (refer to page ii for 2nd-grade instruction or reference the FAQ guide)
Lesson structure: Whole group
Duration: 8-12 minutes
Intervention: Lessons can be used in small groups to provide intervention and support for 1st and 2nd-grade students who need additional support with targeted skills instruction
Alignment: The curriculum includes a table to show alignment with the Common Core State Standards for Phonological Awareness (Grade 1)
The Heggerty Primary Curriculum includes:
- An intentional progression to focus on complex skills:
- 8 phonemic awareness skills in Weeks 1-9
- 6 PA skills in Weeks 10-20
- 5 PA skills in Weeks 21-24
- Opportunities to build Alphabet Knowledge & Phoneme-Grapheme Connection
Lessons provide daily opportunities to develop phoneme awareness and proficiency through:
- Phoneme Isolation
- Blending syllables and phonemes
- Segmenting syllables and phonemes
- Adding syllables and phonemes
- Deleting syllables and phonemes
- Substituting syllables and phonemes