The Primary Extension curriculum provides systematic and explicit instruction in five basic and advanced phonemic awareness skills for older learners, and can be used for whole class instruction.
The last year of instruction, due to COVID-19, has resulted in many students struggling with foundational reading skills, and this need extends beyond the Kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms. We wanted to provide teachers with a resource so that they can provide students with instruction in phonemic awareness each day using the Primary Extension curriculum.
Who is this for?
The 12-weeks of daily lessons can be used as an oral warm-up to your phonics and reading instruction in 3rd - 5th grade classrooms.
What to do after 12 weeks?
Bridge the Gap Phonemic Awareness Intervention lessons can be used to provide small group intervention lessons, using the placement assessment to determine skills for instruction.
- This digital curriculum includes 12 weeks of daily instruction, with 60 lessons total.
- Each lesson includes a skill focus and explicit language for instruction.
- Lessons are short and fast-paced, working with 6 words for each skill; 5-7 minutes in length.
- Instructional focus is on 5 basic and advanced phonemic awareness skills:
1. Blending phonemes into spoken words
2. Segmenting words into phonemes
3. Adding phonemes
4. Deleting phonemes
5. Substituting phonemes
6. Reversals (week 12)