Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Pre-Kindergarten lessons are meant to supplement existing literacy curriculum and are easily integrated into half-day or full-day preschool programs. When lessons are taught consistently each day with explicit teacher modeling and scaffolded support, teachers see improvement in students’ reading, spelling, and writing, as the students learn to hear the sounds in words.
The pre-kindergarten curriculum in English (purple book) uses nursery rhymes to introduce three and four year old students to language play. The lessons include the same ten daily phonemic awareness skills as the kindergarten and primary versions. By the end of preschool your students will begin to build a repertoire of classic nursery rhymes as they learn to enjoy language play!
The revised 2020 Edition of the English Pre-Kindergarten Curriculum includes increased complexity of words and tasks for multiple skills, a reorganization of the sequencing of skills within the 35 weeks, a reordering of lesson sequencing to allow for an easier transition into phonics instruction, and refined teacher modeling and support instructions.
The 10 components included in each Heggerty Pre-Kindergarten lesson:
- 8 phonemic awareness skills
- 1 letter name and letter sound recognition activity
- 1 language awareness activity using nursery rhymes
Daily lessons teach basic and more complex skills such as:
- Rhyming and onset fluency
- Isolating final or medial sounds
- Blending and segmenting words, syllables, and phonemes
- Adding and deleting words, syllables, and phonemes
- Substituting phonemes (week 19-35)