Designed to supplement your existing literacy curriculum, the Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Pre-Kindergarten lessons easily integrate into half-day or full-day preschool programs. When lessons are taught consistently each day with explicit teacher modeling and scaffolded support, teachers see improvement in students’ reading, spelling, and writing, as the students learn to hear the sounds in words.
Bringing explicit phonemic awareness instruction to your preschool classroom is now easier than ever.
- QR codes directly link the weekly lesson page to videos and other supportive resources, enabling easy access to professional development and helping teachers to implement the curriculum with fidelity.
- Explicit teacher language better enables teachers to support all students' development.
- The new Skill Focus can be shared as an explanation for each skill or task when teaching the lessons.
- Overview pages support teachers with changes and shifts that take place throughout the weekly lessons.
"The Purple Book," as it's often called, uses nursery rhymes to introduce preschool students to language play. The lessons include eight phonological and phonemic awareness skills, taught in a systematic progression. The advanced skill of initial phoneme substitution is taught beginning in Week 19, after students have learned to isolate, blend, and segment with phonemes.
Through two early literacy skills, students also develop alphabet knowledge through daily practice with an alphabet song and letter name and sound practice. Nursery rhymes are taught each week so that by the end of preschool your students will begin to build a repertoire of classic nursery rhymes as they learn to enjoy language play!
Intended audience: 4 & 5-year-old preschool classrooms (last year of preschool before Kindergarten) and Transitional Kindergarten classrooms.
Lesson structure: Whole group
Duration: 10-12 minutes
Alignment: This curriculum aligns to the Early Learning and Development standards for children who are 4 or 5 years old, participating in their last year of preschool or attending transitional kindergarten (TK). The skills taught provide practice and exposure to prepare students for Kindergarten.
The 10 components included in each Heggerty Pre-Kindergarten lesson:
- 8 phonemic awareness skills
- 1 letter name and letter sound recognition activity
- 1 language awareness activity using nursery rhymes
Daily lessons provide practice and exposure with 8 phonemic awareness skills:
- Onset Fluency
- Phoneme Isolation (initial, final, and medial)
- Blend words, syllables, onset-rime, and phonemes
- Segment words, syllables, onset-rime, and phonemes
- Add words, syllables, and initial phonemes
- Delete words, syllables, and initial phonemes
- Substitute initial phonemes (Weeks 19-35 only)